Home Fluoride Treatment
The best way for an adult to apply fluoride at home is with custom made trays. We will take an impression of your teeth and make special trays. We will show you how to place the trays in your mouth. If we are recommending fluoride, you are either having too many cavities or you have sensitive teeth, or both. Below are the directions for using the tray:
- The special trays were made for you to keep the fluoride gel on your teeth so the fluoride will soak into your teeth to prevent decay and also prevent sensitivity.
- The fluoride should be used daily for about 5 minutes. The best time to use the fluoride gel is right before bedtime.
- Place small amounts of fluoride gel (about pea size) in each tooth imprint in the fluoride tray. For smaller teeth, you may be able to place the gel at every-other tooth position.
- Place the tray or trays in your mouth after you have brushed and flossed your teeth. If excess gel runs out of your tray into your mouth, wipe this excess off with a toothbrush or with your finger. If excess gel runs out into your mouth, do not place as much gel in the tray next time.
- Leave the trays in your mouth for approximately 5 minutes. Remove the trays and spit out the excess fluoride gel. It is best to not rinse out the excess gel with water because water dilutes the gel that remains on the teeth. If the taste is objectionable to you, you can rinse with a small amount of water.
- If you need more fluoride gel, you can get some from West Augusta Dental Associates or we can call in a prescription to your pharmacy.